The Super Bowl Comes to New York

There are about as many opinions on this heated topic as there are starrs in the sky…as there are mosquitoes in the swamp…as there are Beatle Tribute Bands!

One the one hand we have the “old school” footballers,  the kind that like bloody uniforms and taped up warriors…massive hits and broken bodies.  They think the idea of playing in brutal cold, snow and wind is a measure of the toughness and perseverance of the combatants. And anyway football was supposed to be played in the “elements”,  that’s part of it’s tribal charm. Anybody remember the Ice Bowl?? Considered one of the greatest games ever played,  it was also one of the most challenging physical and environmental battles in the meat locker known as Lambeau Field. I guess I can see thgis side of the argument.

On the other hand it is said that since NFL teams have struggled and battled against both man and weather, and suffered injury and pain through an entire season,  they should play their championship game in perfect conditions on a perfect field in  perfect weather.  The old schoollers say “BAH! HUMBUG!”  You’re getting paid a King’s Ransom..we don’t care about YOUR struggles.  The new age fan cares less about the finances and more about the fan’s stadium comfort,  and simply wanting to watch a game played at it’s best, unimpeded by the weather.  The new age fan wants the better team to demonstrate it’s superiority.  They don’t want the inferior team to win on a play caused by the whims of  Mother Nature.  Ok.  I can see that too.

So what is the answer?  It may simply be a matter of logistics.  The Super Bowl has become a massive national (and even international) celebration…an integral part of the winter fabric.  Thanksgiving…Christmas…New Year’s…Super Bowl.  It has become so large that the weather has become a major concern less for it’s affect on the outcome of the actual game,  but more so the problems the weather could cause the external celebrations.  Thousands of people are in town for the game.  How do we safely get them around to all of the various events taking place?  How does the mass transit system function under this weight…and the even bigger problems caused by bad weather? Can some of the special league events even take place in bad weather?  That is the crux of the modern Super Bowl dilemma is a cold weather venue.

In some of the previous cold weather games there was infrastructure in place that mitigated some of these concerns.  Underground passageways to and from indoor stadiums. Shopping and other amenities in indoor malls connected by rail and or protected pedestrian walkways.  Unfortunately the size and scope of the New York-New Jersey Super Bowl experience make such things impossible.

I like a cold weather game.  Why not play in conditions that are similar to what the game encounters all season.  I also like the “perfect” game scenario.  My solution is a rotating schedule where the games are played in both environs to accommodate everyone’s taste in championship football.  If the league knows in advance that games will be played at cold weather sites, some of the logistical problems might be handled. Will it ever be as easy as playing in a warm weather venue?  Probably not but it certainly gives the championship game a different slant some years.  An entertaining change of pace that the fans have already embraced.

Why do you think football fans?

This entry was posted in NFL Football, Pop culture, Sports and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The Super Bowl Comes to New York

Well, since you asked… 🙂

My experience watching football games live — including Super Bowl ’76 — has taken place only in Florida. There, in the fall it’s too hot, even in Gainesville, which is considerably further north than South Florida. In the winter it’s lovely, but still a little weird with such warm weather.

To me, normal fall weather is perfect for football. I love the crisp fall air, changing leaves and sweatshirts. (I suppose it must sound odd coming from someone who has never seen a live football game in that weather, lol.) I don’t think I’d be thrilled to be at this year’s Super Bowl in such cold weather, but that’s my preference. (I suppose this, too, must sound odd, coming from someone who loves to ski. I think it’s because I’m moving and staying warm.)

I like your idea of rotation, so that everybody’s preferences are met … eventually.

As far as “old school” v. “new school”, I have to side with the new school people. Not so much with wanting the elegance and conveniences of a new stadium, although that’s not so bad, but more for toning down the brutality of the game. It’s such a great sport, but I hate when players get injured.

So, that’s my girlie point of view. I’m sure the guys will chime in with their opinions…

(Can I make a request for a blog subject? Since you brought up Beatles tribute bands, 🙂 I’d love to hear your take on “The British Invasion” and the effect the music of the ’60s had on us.)

It is a brutal game after all. The intention is to forcibly prevent a group of large men from advancing in time and space. There is of course another large group of men trying to advance. People are going to get hurt. The weather as a factor has long had “romantic” overtones. Men fighting men and having to deal with “the elements too”. Something very primitive and attractive about that! LOL

I will record the British Invasion TV special and let you know what I think. I was certainly there in the thick of it. I was 12 when the Beatles arrived13 when the wave washed over us and as a later teen when the heavier British sounds flowed across the Atlantic. I might a few hundred words to say about that!

joeysmx@verizon.net Joseph & Tara Refano Centerport, NY

2. Bill Deegan says:

Maybe I’m just an old skeptic but I don’t think the selection of the Super Bowl site has much to do with player/fan comfort or field conditions…it’s about where the NFL and their billionaire sponsors can make the most money. The league likes warm weather sites because they believe more attendees, and these are not actual fans in many cases , will fly in and spend big bucks on hotels, dinners, booze and other related events. The fear of the league is not how the cold weather will effect the game but how it will effect the bottom line. Trust me, if the league discovers that they made a killing this week in a cold weather venue the next Super Bowl will be in International Falls, Minnesota..lol

• Joanne F says:

I agree with you, Bill, these guys really don’t care about the fans beyond the fans’ ability to make them a lot of money. (A childhood friend of mine worked for about 15 years for the guy who owns the Dolphins, I can’t remember his name right now but he’s the developer in NYC, she is a first-rate executive secretary. She was going away with her husband last fall and trained a temp to fill in for her. By the time she got back, that 1%er fell in love with the nubile young thing and fired my friend! Absolutely NO loyalty!) And Joe, thank you for sharing your personal insights regarding why you love the game so much! LOLLL

Now that it’s all said and done, can either of you tell me if this was the same Denver defense that made Tim Tebow a winning quarterback for that team? 😉

I think you’re right Bill. As in most things in sports these days money is the key factor in just about every decision. The guy who owns the Dolphins is pretty much looked at as a wacko. That story fits right in. Again with the Tebow? Please. The Denver defense was pretty dfarn good this year until 3 of their best players got hurt and are out for ther season. At least Tebow’s TV spots were funny!

Steve Ross, that’s his name. Yeah, I’m not surprised that he’s a whack. He’s also a jerk, confirmed. Hey, cut me slack with Timmy! It’s Gator Loyalty here. 🙂 I’m glad he found that job with the new SEC Network. I could not see the game, as we were on the bus coming back from NH and only had closed circuit, so I missed his TV spots. I wonder if there’s a way to catch them again?

On “The British Invasion” series on CNN: There is a hilarious segment of Peter Noonan (he of your Herman’s Hermits fame) arguing with someone (I forget who, but somebody like Mick Jagger) over war and how “we can’t trust anybody over 40!” OMG, I just LOL’d on that one! I know that this music affected me significantly, as it is the first music of my generation that I was exposed to (I was 7 when The Beatles came to the U.S.). Since you play their music, and you were a little older and picked up more of the nuances of what was going on then, I am curious to get your take on the series itself. I thought the pilot was well done. Tom Hanks is one of the producers, and he doesn’t lend himself to junk, but some of these documentaries can be sugar-coated, like the one on Jimmi Hendrix. They totally glossed over how he was taken advantage of by the people around him. Anyway, if you feel so inclined to do a blogspot on it, I’m sure we’ll all be reading it with great interest.

I’m sure they will be, or are on, YouTube. They were pretty darn funny and were based on his lack of a contract in the NFL. He showed a side of himself no one ever gets to see. It was good.I saw that segment with Peter. Did you know I was his principal bass player from 2002-2008? Travelled over the country and Canada with him. Pete did a some shows with him as well. The keyboardist in Tuesday Afternoon, Tony Tallarico, played with Peter and I for several years as well. That scene you’re referring to was Peter arguing with Pete Townsend of the WHO. pretty funny stuff when you consider the time and place…and they were so earnest! I was only 11 when the BEatles played Sullivan…I was 12 in May of that year so please don’t make me out to be an elder statesmen! LOL but i guess I am in some ways. I will write about it when I have a moment.
    Been busy with a few things lately but I’ll get to it.

Thanks for the youtube tip. (I guess I should have thought of that.) Timmy has a very endearing side, no matter your football or your religion (or your football-religion, lol). And that’s why I like him so. I look forward to seeing those spots.

Yes, I knew you were in Noonan’s band for several years! Pete Bross, too. And that’s especially why I wanted your take on this series — and one of the reasons why I respect both of you as musicians so much. You play British Invasion in a myriad of ways. Who better a source? 🙂

Yes, it was Pete Townsend. Wasn’t that hilarious? And please know that I wasn’t trying to make you out to be an “elder statesman”, lol, 5 years isn’t much difference. I think, though, that that five-year differential makes a difference on this, because you could appreciate the music a bit more than a 7-year-old. Plus I imagine it had a profound effect on your own music.

No rush getting around to it, it was just a suggestion for when you have the time. But thanks for considering it.

The British Invasion washed over me like it did all the kids and teens in that era. I loved all that stuff. Herman’s Hermits…The Searchers…Gerry & The Pacemakers…The early Stones…Dave Clark Five…and of course the Beatles